Thursday, March 08, 2007

Gregorian chant textbook

The Church Music Association of America (CMAA) has again provided new great resources for upstart scholas everywhere.

Gregorian Chant according to the Solesmes Method (1930) by Dom Gregory Sunol, O.S.B. is now available as a free PDF download or paperback print version for only US$22. Great for beginners as well as a good reference textbook for the pros. Yes, yes, I have heard snickering remarks about the Solesmes method being "outdated", "erroneous scholarship", etc. However, with no less an authority than St. Pius X himself sanctioning the Solesmes method, I think I'm in safe hands.

Next would be the Graduale Romanum (1961) which would suffice to replace the Liber Usualis for most scholas as it contains all the chants proper to the 1962 Roman Missal. Unless your schola needs to sing the Divine Office as well, this would be more than adequate as it also contains the chants for Vespers. It also contains Pope Pius XII's reforms for Holy Week. Comparing the price between a new Liber Usualis (more than US$100) and the printed Graduale Romanum (US$60), I don't think I need to say more as to which is the obvious choice if I'm on a tight budget. The free PDF edition has long been made available and CMAA is now offering the print edition in two paperback volumes (US$30 for Vol I, US$30 for Vol II).

No comments: