Friday, February 02, 2007

Every diocese ought to have a choir like this....

The Westminster Cathedral Choir is my personal favourite, beating other better known names like the Sistine Chapel Choir and the Vienna Boys Choir. Their tone sounds just so right, while the later two are too shrill for my liking. Try Hyperion Records to look for some of their recordings and listen to their angelic voices via the samples available. This choir is reputed to be "the only cathedral choir in the world to sing Mass and Vespers liturgically every day" uninterrupted since the foundation of the cathedral in 1903! Now that's what I call dedication and love for sacred music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget though...the capella sistina is a working Chapel, not a singing school. : )

The Hymn Selector said...

Perhaps, but then...... I still love the Westminster Cathedral Choir anytime over the Sistine. Plus, I'm not the only one to say so.